Disclosure: This is a professional review blog. Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. All of the products are tested thoroughly and high grades are received only by the best ones. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions.
How to make lavender lotion without wax?
Extraction of Lavender oil
Oil is extracted from the lavender plants to make it usable in essential oils. The evergreen buddy plant is usually harvested with hands from the field. The bunch of flowers is allowed to dry for several weeks. It has two benefits to let the plant dry completely. First, prevent the oil to become rancid, and secondly, it is easier to remove dried buds from the plant. Once the plant is completely dry it is steam distilled. In the steam distilled process, lavender is placed on the boiling water. It goes through steam under high pressure, the heat inside the boiler pushes the oil outside the flower. Steam containing oil in the boiler reaches the condenser where it gets cooled and turns into the liquid. The lavender oil is then separated from the liquid.
Chemical composition of Lavender
- Lavender is widely used in beauty products and has medicinal effects too. It is studied that lavender contains different types of active chemicals and the combination of those active chemicals has proven to tune the body to make function smoothly.
- The chemical components of lavender are a-pinene, limonene, 1,8-cineole, cis-ocimene, trans-ocimene, 3-octanone, camphor, linalool, linalyl acetate, caryophyllene, terpinene-4-ol, and lavandulyl acetate.
- The main component includes linalool and linalyl acetate which is best known for its property to relieve anxiety.
- Other important components are cineole and camphor which help to boost memory.
- The chemical composition may vary from different manufacturers depending upon their developing process.
How do you make lavender lotion without wax?
Lavender is easily available in oil and dried buds form. It is boon for cosmetic and fragrances companies. If we talk for beauty products, lavender is extensively used in creams, lotion, bars, sachets, etc.
The amazing thing is that you can make some preparations such as lotions at home for yourself to feel the original scent and effects on your body.
As winter is on its way, I think its perfect time to share how to make lavender lotion without wax. It is very easy to prepare lotion for your own as it will help to make your skin protected from chemicals and is purely natural. So let see the ingredients we will require:
1/2 cup shea butter
Shea butter is boon for the skin as it has a large healing fraction. It is used in the treatment therapy of various skin problems such as sunburns, wrinkles, blemishes, wrinkles, eczema, and many more. We are using shea butter for its anti-oxidant property.
1/2 cup coconut oil
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer which makes the skin soft. We are using coconut oil as it gets solidified below 75℉, it helps to whip the lotion better and to make it stabilize.
1/2 cup olive oil
Olive oil is best known for its sun protection and photo-aging property. It gave the skin a natural glow.
30 drops lavender essential oil
Lavender contains anti-inflammatory property and it helps to cleanse the skin. It has a great scent and researchers show that it promotes calming, increases drowsiness, and boosts mood. It also helps to reduce anxiety
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler on your stove. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can place the mason jar in pan contain hot water and heat the water till oils in jar melted together.
- Remove the mason jar from heat and allow the oil to cool
- Add olive oil and lavender essential oil in it and stir.
- Allow the mixture to cool down.
- Once the oil is cooled transfer it to a bowl and whips it with an electric mixture until you get the texture of the lotion.
- Preserve the lotion in the jar for up to 6 months.
Lavender is the safest herb for its general use as well as in essential oil usage. The oil can also be applied to the skin in undiluted form but in minute quantity. Though there is no side-effect of lavender use not without its contraindications. People who are having sensitive skin may find it allergic solely depend on skin type.
Though lavender oil is considered as the safest essential oil but should discontinue use if it shows any allergic reaction.